Monday, September 10, 2007

Very Vera

My apologies for not posting last week. Magazine deadlines were calling! I will post regularly again this Thursday.
I did want to post a follow-up on the Vera Wang line called Simply Vera that Kohl's department stores are carrying.
The Wall Street Journal ran a Q&A with Wang last week on her new line. She addressed a question about what was on her mind launching her new line. Here's one of my favorite quotes from her:
"I don't consider it a jump down, I consider it a jump across to a much bigger world. Being able to dress so many more women, to me as a designer, is a privilege. Sure, I love the new collection [runway] show. There is nothing like it. But if I can't see my work on more people what did that mean ultimately for me as a designer? Fashion is also about being able to reach more women. Isn't that the ultimate goal? Are you dressing 20 people in the world? Or are you dressing the world? I would argue that both are possible."
Wang goes on to elaborate that women are much more label-conscious and fashion-savvy than ever before. I think Wang has got it right that even if you don't have the big bucks to wear Dior or Marc Jacobs, you can still pull together an excellent outfit from any of Madison's fine local retailers or national retailers like Target (carrying big-name designers Libertine and Devi Kroell currrently) and Steve & Barry's (carrying Sarah Jessica Parker and Amanda Byne's lines).

No comments: