Thursday, October 9, 2008

News



I was at an event the other week talking with another attendee. Naturally, we got on the subject of clothing. “I’m a handbag girl,” she said. “But my best friend is a shoe girl.” Folks, I’m a shoe girl. Reason being, switching handbags every day just gets too time-consuming. For special events I’ll work in a cute clutch, but for everyday use I sport the same handbag all season. Switching shoes every day … a lot easier. Especially if you have patent shoes in pink, yellow, blue, black, red and nude like myself (among many other pairs that I have). I mean, you’ve got to show all of the shoes equal love!
Those of you who are shoe people will want to attend the “If the Shoe Fits” auction and fundrasier to benefit The Center for Patient Partnerships on Thursday, November 6.
Seriously, you have to check out the shoes that will be up for auction (cppiftheshoefits.org). Designed by artists from across the nation, these fantastical works will surely fetch some bucks as a one-of-a-kind sculptural piece for the home.
A coworker and I have jokingly said that we’re going to install shelves in our respective apartments to display our favorite shoes. If you buy one of those beauties from the auction, you’ll probably want to do just that.
(Photos: Top, "Arc en Ceil" by Mark Evans; bottom, "Spike Heel" by Charley Brown).

If the Shoe Fits Auction and Fundraiser (to benefit the Center for Patient Partnerships), November 6. 5:30–8:30p. Nakoma Golf Club, 4145 Country Club Rd. 265-6267.
cppiftheshoefits.org


Anyone who hears the words “Fashion Week” and “Madison” might scratch their head. Whaaat? Madisonians, fashionable? C’est vrai! And what better way to showcase Wisconsin retail and our city style than at Fashion Fridays, an event being held next Friday, October 17, in the “Commercial Penthouse” at the Novation Campus, 2450 Rimrock Rd.
The event is a runway show and shopping shindig for those with a passion for fashion. Participating retailers include Patricia Shoppe, N.e.w.d. Clothing, Maverick Clothing and Milwaukee-based Fred Boutique and Red Heel.
The theme is “London Calling” and press materials share, “The third installment calls on the looks of London as the season’s hottest trendmakers including plaid, houndstooth, equestrian, military and punk.”
Indeed, Kristi Moe, producer of Madison Fashion Week and Fashion Fridays, is even handing out a “Best Dressed” award at the Cardinal Bar after-party to the person that best epitomizes the “London Calling” theme.

Moe has shared this schedule of the event with me:
7:30-8:30 Shopping reception
8:30-8:45 First runway show (two fashion lines)
8:45-9:00 Live music set
9:00-9:15 Second runway show (two fashion lines)
9:00 Doors open at the Cardinal Bar for the after-party

Tickets range from $15 (reserved seats) to $200 for a table. I will attend the event and report back to you on my thoughts and what looks I liked.

Fashion Fridays, Friday October 17. 7:30 p.m.–? Runway show: The Commercial Penthouse at Novation Campus, 2450 Rimrock Rd. After party: The Cardinal Bar, 418 E. Wilson St. madisonfashionweek.com

I attended the Madison Symphony Orchestra League’s “Overture of Style” event on October 2 at the Edgewater Hotel. (If you’d like to view pics, here’s the link). As emcee of the show, I was fortunate enough to get a sneak preview of the fashions earlier in the day. Woldenberg’s provided all of the ready-to-wear, evening and fur coat fashions that were featured. I coveted a deep purple sweater with baubles sewn onto the neckline and cute color-block skirt, both by French designer Sonia Rykiel, and a spangly Badgley Mischka flapper-inspired cocktail dress and a deep emerald green silk blouse with ruffles down the front. The show went off without a hitch and the models did a nice job showcasing Woldenberg’s fashions.
Shown here is a picture of me in the David Meister cocktail dress Woldenberg’s was kind enough to lend me for the event. Constructed of silk with a one-shoulder silhouette and pleating at the waist, this dress would be appropriate year-round for a daytime or nighttime event. Now, if I could just convince the boutique to let me keep the dress … ☺

Woldenberg’s, 702 N. Midvale Blvd. 233-4300.

I met Tanatnan Chaipang the other week at our “Sips and Shops” event. Chaipang recently opened Eastside Bazaar, a store on East Johnson Street. Chaipang told me she sells her own handmade jewelry, as well as wall hangings, masks, purses, paintings and more. According to her website (eastsidebazaar.com) Chaipang’s merchandise comes from West Africa to Southeast Asia. I plan to stop in soon and when I do, I’ll let you know!

Eastside Bazaar, 836 E. Johnson St. 260-0244. eastsidebazaar.com

No comments: